Friday, November 08, 2013

Alpine Strawberries

Have you ever noticed that tiny blessings appear just when you seem to need it the most? I was blessed with one yesterday, just when I needed it the most.

This fall I was given a potted Alpine Strawberry (Fragaria Alipina). These are wild strawberries that grow a bit larger than their cousin the Woodland Strawberry (Fragaria Vesca), also a wild strawberry. I was told when it was given to me that it had never born fruit even though it had been grown outside all through the summer months. I did some research and found it is an ever-bearing strawberry and winters well indoors. Unfortunately, one article I read talked about how they need to be hand pollinated if they are kept indoors all year. Okay, I thought, not sure if I would ever get blossoms or berries but it is a pretty little plant nonetheless.

Alpine Strawberry (Fragaria Alpina)


Well, the pictures show what has happened with this lovely little plant over the past several weeks. It has not only blossom but a brand new baby berry as well, which I happened to notice yesterday when I most needed a tiny little miracle. There were only 2 blossoms that I could find, although I am sure there may well be more hiding in there somewhere. Today there is one blossom and one berry and I can’t wait to see if it actually does become a lovely little red strawberry.

No comments: