Wednesday, April 06, 2005

NYC Story

This morning I read a story on the front page of MSN about a man who was stuck in an elevator for over 3 days. I began reading the story with a smile on my face. About halfway through the story the smile disappeared as I began to think what a sad state of affairs this story was.

The man was delivering Chinese food to a high rise apartment when he became stuck in the elevator. After failing to return from the delivery it was assumed that he had been a crime victim. Authorities canvassed the apartment building looking for the man, repairment came to check out the disabled elevator he was in, and he repeatedly called for help over the intercom.

The Mayor was quoted in the article as saying: “If they were there and they searched and they didn’t find him, thank God it turned out that he’s OK,” ... “I think we should all be thankful that the man’s alive.” (© 2005 The Associated Press)

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but this story struck me as more than absurd. What is wrong in a society where this can happen and is it happening all over the Nation?

Justs some food for thought, comments welcome.

No comments: